top of page

Part 141 Curriculums

The Part 141 Curriculums we use at United Flight Systems are the FAA approved courses that may offer significant time and cost savings to our students. Below is a summary of the benefits and drawbacks to Part 141 and Part 61 curriculums:

What is a Part 141 Flight School?

Flight schools come in two basic varieties, Part 61 and Part 141, which refer to the parts of the Federal Aviation Regulations (FARs) under which they operate. The most common distinction between them is the minimum flight time required for the Private Pilot Certificate (sometimes called a pilot license)--40 hours under Part 61, and 35 hours under Part 141. Part 141 Flight Schools may also offer flight training courses conducted under Part 61. However, Part 61 Flight Schools may not offer or conduct any flight training courses under the provisions of FAR Part 141.

United Flight is both a Part 61 and a Part 141 Pilot School. The following Part 141 Pilot Training courses are available: Private Pilot, Instrument Rating, Commercial Pilot, Multi Engine Additional Rating, Certificated Flight Instructor (CFI), Instrument Instructor (CFII) and Multi Engine Instructor (MEI). The main factors that differentiate Part 141 Schools from Part 61 Schools are primarily matters of structure and accountability.

Part 141 schools must:

  • Be periodically audited by the FAA (no-notice inspections)

  • Develop and use detailed, FAA-approved training course outlines for each course

  • Conduct ground and flight lessons in a structured manner following an approved syllabus and lesson plans

  • Establish written safety practices and procedures for conducting flight training

  • Maintain very detailed training records for each student enrolled

  • Meet minimum student pilot performance rates. A minimum "pass" rate must be maintained.

  • Provide training aircraft that meet very stringent maintenance and safety standards. These aircraft must be made available to the FAA for inspection and are subject to inspection at any time, without notice.

  • Posses and maintain suitable, approved ground facilities


Part 61 schools:

Part 61 schools do not have the same documentation and accountability requirements. In fact any Certificated Flight Instructor with a suitable aircraft can establish a Part 61 flight school with little direct supervision or monitoring from the FAA. The national average for earning a Private Pilot Certificate at a Part 61 school is 60-75 hours. At a Part 141 school, these training hours tend to be considerably less than 60-75 hours, but generally more than the 35-hour minimum. How long you'll take will depend on your ability, how well you prepare for each lesson, and how often you fly. This difference in the flight time required to achieve a Private Pilot Certificate using a course conducted under Part 141 versus Part 61 is not particularly significant.

Advantages of Part 141 Flight Training

Part 141 flight training beyond the Private Pilot Certificate (Instrument Rating, Commercial Pilot Certificate, Multi Engine Rating, etc.) provides some very important benefits when compared to the same courses taught at a Part 61 school. Earning these advanced certificates and ratings at a Part 141 school can provide a better quality of training, fewer training hours, and less cost. The advantages of completing these advanced courses at a Part 141 school include:

  • The Instrument Rating may be completed in 35 flight hours rather than the 40 flight hours required at a Part 61 school

  • You may enroll in and complete the Part 141 Instrument Rating course without the requisite 50 hours of Cross Country Pilot-in-Command (PIC) time required of Part 61 students

  • The Part 141 Commercial Pilot Course can be completed in a total of 120 hours. This means the minimum total time to become a Commercial Pilot at a Part 141 school is 190 hours rather than the 250 hours required at a Part 61 school

  • VA Benefits. The Veteran's Administration will provide benefits for flight training to qualified military veterans provided they attend a Part 141 flight school and are enrolled in approved Part 141 flight courses. VA will not provide any benefits for Part 61 flight courses.

bottom of page